Just wait until you see this Tropical Mexican Destination Wedding in Tulum. It has been a month or so since I returned from Cas and Robbie’s tropical wedding, and I am still in awe of the entire day!
Although I am an elopement photographer based out of Arizona, I love when I get a destination wedding that takes me out of the United States!
WHEN A TEXAN COUPLE TAKES ON MEXICO FOR THEIR TROPICAL WEDDING
Robbie is originally from London but met Cas when he was in Houston, Texas visiting. Their love story is magical and could be made into the cutest romantic comedy you’ve ever seen. I mean, should we call Nicholas Sparks?!
Cassie and Robbie have always loved vacations to Mexico and always dreamed of getting married on a beach. When they discovered destination weddings, they immediately knew that that is what they wanted!
They picked Tulum because they loved that it had the intimate jungle and beach vibe that they were going for.
TULUM WEDDING DETAILS
The couple ended up renting a villa in downtown Tulum which was actually right across the street from where they held their destination wedding. The villa had three other villas attached. One was for the groom’s family. One was for the bride’s family. The third one was for the bride and groom and bridesmaids/groomsmen.
They had an intimate ceremony and reception at GITANO in downtown Tulum.
Everyone danced and drank the night away at one location which made it so easy for their guests.
ITCHING TO HAVE A DESTINATION WEDDING?
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT TULUM
Tulum is located about 2 hours from Cancun International Airport.
The easiest way to get from Cancun to Tulum:
- You can hire private shuttle services THROUGH YOUR HOTEL.
- Research shuttle services to your hotel
The standard price, ONE WAY, is about $100. I always recommend rounding up $50.00 or so just so that you aren’t scrounging up money when you get there!
Hey, they didn’t say Mexico would be cheap!
A question that I am always asked is: “Annette, is it safe to travel to Mexico?”
I have always felt completely safe traveling to Mexico, and I actually travel all by myself! I always have all of my shuttles reserved and try to stay in places that I am familiar with!
Tulum is one of those cities that if you just use your common sense at night, you will be okay! I mean, should you go down a dark alley at night? Nope… Should you stay in a sketchy hotel that has TERRIBLE reviews? Nope… Even if you aren’t in Mexico, you probably shouldn’t do those things!
The first time I traveled to Tulum back in 2015, we had to use cash everywhere! Now, you are able to use credit cards pretty much everywhere you go!
PLANNING A DESTINATION WEDDING
So many couples debate having a Destination Wedding, and as I mentioned, they are some of my favorite weddings!
If you are reading this, then you are definitely in the right place! Let me give you some guidance to not only help you make your wedding dreams come true but also save you a whole lot of stress!
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW WHEN PLANNING A DESTINATION WEDDING
- HIRE A WEDDING PLANNER. If you’re planning a wedding in a different state let alone a different country, hire a local vendor who knows other vendors in that specific area.
- INCLUDE MORE QUALITY TIME WITH YOUR GUESTS. You get to spend a weekend getaway or a week with all your friends and family and you get more time to spend with them. If you want, you can plan events every night of the week to hang out with your guests. When you plan a destination wedding, you’re spreading out your time with the guests and the day of your wedding is just one party because you got to already meet and greet and catch up with everyone the days prior.
- MAKE IT A VACATION FOR EVERYONE. All of your family and friends get a vacation out of it. If both your families are already traveling for the wedding, might as well travel to a destination and have everyone meet there
- CREATE A MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE. If you are having a wedding in a destination this is a chance for everyone to make memories.
- PICK A BREATHTAKING LOCATION. It is an opportunity to get a bucket list trip off your list and not only do it with your new husband but with all your friends and family. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO GO SOMEWHERE EPIC.
PRO TIPS FOR A DESTINATION WEDDING
For destination weddings, it really doesn’t matter what day of the week your get married on! If everyone is traveling in, you really can do any day and enjoy your time with your guests the other days.
If you choose to do the all-inclusive resort route, keep in mind that it will be pretty expensive for guests. However, everything will be taken care of! Most all-inclusive resorts take care of all the wedding details from planning to the food to set up. It can make your wedding experience stress-free to have a resort take care of all the nitty-gritty details for you.
There are so many different ideas and ways to have a destination wedding!
I mean from going to an all-inclusive resort in the Bahamas, to having an intimate ceremony at your Mexican Destination Wedding in Tulum. No matter what you choose, it is a memory you and your guests will always remember forever.
It is a dream wedding in paradise, and I say, let the tequila pour!
MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT THIS DESTINATION WEDDING: DESTINATION ELOPEMENT AT HORSESHOE BEND | DESERT WEDDING INSPO